Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bird Whisperer

Yesterday a baby robin fell from its nest in one of our poplar trees and landed in the front yard flower bed. I watched the drama as the mother robin frantically tried to coax the youngster to safety. Unable to fly more than a foot or two at a time the distressed baby was quickly exhausted. The mom flew away as a neighborhood cat zeroed in on the helpless bird. I took a basket and put some leaves and twigs in the bottom, laying it on the ground in front of the baby, who seemed relieved to have some shelter. I brought the basket inside and placed it next to the computer on my desk. The baby took a nap while I worked, occassionally sticking his head up and chirping before falling back asleep. After an hour or so he hopped up on the edge of the basket and looked around, amazingly content in the unfamiliar surroundings. I took him back out to the big tree and placed him on a lower branch, hoping Nature would take its course. Later in the day there was no sign of the baby so I'm choosing to believe he was reunited with his mama and is up in the nest with some incredible stories to tell about his adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment