Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Hero's Farewell

I've met some great people, famous people and extraordinary ordinary people in my life. But meeting Vernon Baker was an honor beyond what I'm adequately able to describe. He was a gentleman, humbled by the adulation of the public and a wee bit mischievious I sensed. Mr. Baker was a genuine hero for the history books and like the handful of real heroes I've met, would never describe himself as such. Word came on Wednesday that this Congressional Medal of Honor recipient and the last surviving member of the 92nd Infantry Division's Buffalo Soldiers, the first all-black unit to see combat in the war, had passed away. He lived an incredible 90 years of life, the last decades in north Idaho. We were honored to know him. Press stories HERE and HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment